I sometimes hold myself back from doing certain things cause I feel “too old.”
I miss dying my hair crazy colors like I did in high school. I feel like I wish I could have seen what it would be like to get dredlocks. I regret that I didn’t get them done when I was backpacking through Spain in my twenties. I wish my parents never made me take out my nose ring when I was a teenager.
I wish I could try these things on now, but I feel too old. I worry that people might judge me, they might say “wow, she’s lost it. Or maybe she’s having some mid-life crisis… or maybe they won’t let their kids play with my kids.
But you know what?
I’m absolutely tired of caring what other people think of me.
I love the Dr. Seuss quote: “those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
I’m not going to let it hold me back anymore from the things I feel like trying.
OK, maybe I wont try going off the halfpipe again on my snowboard. I learned my lesson when I did that in college and my back still hurts from it.
But Baddie Winkle, American internet rock star, who became famous when she was eighty-five when her granddaughter hooked her up with a twitter and Instagram account, reminds me that I’m never too old to be myself.
She is known for her wild free spirited style, she wears eccentric clothes, and a go getter youthful attitude, and has millions of followers and views on social media.
In a Huffington Post article from 2016 where she was interviewed behind the scenes of her first Smirnoff Ice commercial, she emphasized that age is just a number, and shared her tips for staying youthful — no matter how many birthdays are behind you.
She believes age is just a number and that we have it in our power to try to stay young in our hearts, minds, and body.
Here are some of her tips:
- Don’t stop moving. “Of course there are certain things I can no longer do — like climb a ladder. I wouldn’t dare do that anymore. But when it comes to most things, I’d try just about anything.”
- Find what makes you happy — and do it.
- “I love showing off my style. If you want to wear funky clothes, do it. I like to wear tie-dyed shirts and cut-off shorts in the summer and tie-dyed shirts and jeans in the winter. I wear colorful clothes. It makes me happy. Everyone needs to find what makes them happy.”
- Eat and drink in moderation and try to get 8 hours of sleep.
- Go out and have fun with people.
- Always have something to look forward to. “You need to have things on your list that you still want to do. This will help keep you excited about life.”